ITT Corporation Quality Engineer in Blacksburg, Virginia
This position is responsible for supporting, planning, developing, implementing and maintaining the organizations quality systems and procedures throughout the manufacturing process. Additional responsibilities include managing and mentoring the quality lab activities and personnel. Responsibility for developing and implementing quality improvement plans based on collecting, organizing and analyzing process related data.
This position requires industry related knowledge and experience utilizing quality tools and systems including DOE, SPC, FMEA, GD&T, PPAP, APQP, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma. Provide support to manufacturing through leadership and participation in corrective and preventive action, material review and continual improvement activities. This position is based in Blacksburg, VA.
· Prepare required PPAP documentation, including PFMEA, control charts, capability studies, dimensional data, certifications, etc.
· Collect and analyze statistical data related to process performance, report on and recommend areas for improvement.
· Supervise and mentor Quality Lab and Auditing personnel and activities related to auditing, testing, inspection and documentation of in-process and finished product.
· Lead, participate and assist in problem solving of Customer 8Ds using root cause analysis and current problem solving tools i.e. 5ys, 8Ds, Fishbone, etc., to solve and prevent reoccurrence of Customer rejections and continual improvement activities
· Review specifications, blue prints and customer requirements and develop associated inspection procedures to ensure effective quality monitoring.
· Perform various studies and documentation of associated corrective actions.
· Supports Quality Manager in preparing reports for monthly reporting requirements.
· Serve as Quality Manager or Department Head in the absence of existing Quality Manager.
· Supports and adheres to organizational policies and procedures and operational guidelines related to established Quality Management System. (ISO/TS 16949)
· Supports the development and internal/external auditing of the organization’s ISO/TS 16949 certificate
· Monitors and supervise in-coming (receiving) quality and provide direction and training to appropriate personnel regarding the inspection and disposition of in-coming product.
· Provide weekly/monthly quality reports to organization.
· Perform other duties as assigned through plant management.
· Designs part specific gauges and fixtures.
· Participates in Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) as specified by the Quality Operating System.
· Supports the facilities measurements systems, including requirements planning, procurement, preparation of Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA), calibration and maintenance, annual validations and gauge-specific, workforce training for quality inspections.
The above is intended to describe the general content of, and the requirements for, the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
ITT Motion Technologies
“ITT Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.”
Minimum Education Requirements:
BS/BA Degree or Equivalent
Paid Relocation Available?:
Percent of Travel Required:
Less than 25%
Skills and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four year-college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training i.e. American Society of Quality Certified Quality Engineer; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Excellent knowledge and experience with utilizing problem solving and statistical tools and techniques with the following; Design of Experience (DOE), FMEA, Six Sigma, Internal TS 16949 Auditing, FMEA, Control Plans, Corrective Action Reporting, Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) Gage R&R, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Lean Methodologies, and Layered Process Audit (LPA).
Prefer ASQ certification as CQE, CQM or SSBB.
Ability to work with minimal supervision and multi-task, while maintaining established quality standards.
Good communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to write job related reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively interface with all levels of personnel, including customers.
Proficiency in applicable computer related software programs and applications.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of operators, managers, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to work any continuous or fixed schedule, possibly including an excessive number of hours (12 – 16) in a single work day, on any day of the calendar week depending on business needs.
Ability to travel to customers and suppliers domestically and international to address quality concerns as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk and climb stairs. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Attention to Detail
Interpersonal Communication Skills
Ability to make decisions
This position requires visibility to controlled documents. Work sponsorship is not available for this position.*